Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Looking for curves in all the wrong places...

Princess was recently found to have Scoliosis and we're scheduled to see a pediatric orthopedist in May. Since her 30 degree curvature is considered "moderate", I'm pretty sure the doctor will recommend a back brace.

Unfortunately, a brace won't ever make her spine straight. It only keeps the curve from increasing, so she may still need surgery someday.

I do know a little bit about Scoliosis, having watched my brother suffer from it in his youth. I remember helping strap the brace on him, pushing against a chair so that we could pull the straps as tight as possible. It looked like a hard plastic corset... a torture device. Especially since you generally have to sleep in the thing, ugh!

He did have fun with the brace on occasion, however. He liked to talk people into gently punching his chest, and watch their expressions as they frantically withdrew their crumpled fist in obvious surprise (we called him "The Man of Steel"). But it did take away the fun of dropping ice cubes down the back of his shirt.

That was in a colder clime, though, and I wonder how much more torturous it will be here in the Texas heat. Particularly bothersome is that I can't explain any of this to her, since she has no clue what I'm saying, so she will think that we are purposely being mean.

Since that old Waylon Jennings song is in my head, I'll rewrite it a bit...
I was looking for curves in all the wrong places,

Looking for orthopedic back braces,

Searching your X-rays, looking for traces

Of what.. I'm dreaming of...

Hopin' to find a doc who's not a heel

God bless the day I can reveal

A straight spine for the girl I love.

5 comments:

Kristopher said...

I'm thinking--and hoping--that the brace will do more than hold the spine steady. (Just past 30 degrees is when mine deteriorated rapidly; gravity sort of helps pull, once it's clearly out of line. It did no good to hold it in place for short spells without some other interference.) She will still grow a lot taller, right? Right?!? Perhaps the premise will be good of "as the twig is bent, so grows the tree." A good time for corrective action, this.

Just a thought. Keep posting!!!

Kristopher said...

Um, I just remembered that the "maximum bending" brace allegedly does correct slowly, not even just depending on the body's growth and/or healing processes.

Don't be discouraged by having witnessed one of many ways in which I'm beyond all help. ;-)

But DO insist on a doctor without an ego larger than the patient.

Susan said...

Thanks, Kris!! I will be sure to find out about the maximum bending brace. The doc we are seeing is supposedly one of "the best" in the area... I hope I can stand him. You know how picky I am with medical professionals!

I know you're supposed to wear a seamless shirt underneath the brace, but I'm having trouble finding a seamless version in her size.

Belle said...

Can you take Princess to the chiropractor? If you are referred to a good one... they are miracle workers!

Susan said...

Thanks, Belle. We have since discovered that her curve is actually more severe than originally thought and she will have to be casted. After the casting though, I think a chiropractor would be a good idea! Especially since she has dealt with torticollis and issues of excessively tight muscles on her right side, which also tends to throw everything else out of alignment.