Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Smokin' Birthday Party

Yesterday was Monkey #2's 7th birthday, and he had requested a Volcano Cake. He envisioned strawberry syrup erupting from the center. I spent days agonizing over the science of it all, and although I could certainly make it "erupt", it was not with any ingredients that I would want flowing over my chocolate cake. (Mmmm, baking soda and vinegar cake, anyone? How about sugar and sulfuric acid? No? Perhaps yeast and hydrogen peroxide? Yum!)

Finally, I decided that if the volcano just emitted "smoke", that would hopefully appease him. I worried that he would be terribly disappointed.

Making the cake was fun! As I stacked each layer (two 9-inch rounds and a Bundt), I poked holes all over with a fork and drizzled caramel syrup to soak in, then frosted each layer with caramel frosting. I cut down into the center until I could fit in a small plastic cup at the bottom, out of sight. Warm chocolate frosting was poured over the cake so that it dripped down the sides and coated them. Add some red and orange decorating gel "lava", green-tinted coconut for grass, and a package of dollar store dinos, and the mood was set!

We put dry ice into the hidden cup and lit the candles. As we carried it to the table singing "Happy Birthday", we poured some water into the cup and POOF! Beautiful billowing plumes erupted from the center.

Birthday Boy's eyes became huge and his jaw fell open. He was so transfixed that we had to remind him - twice - to blow out his candles. Then he and his brothers wouldn't let me cut the cake -- they wanted to do it all again!

As he went to bed, Birthday Boy declared it "the best birthday ever". Monkey #1 chimed in with, "Yeah, that was way cool. I can't wait to see what you come up with for MY birthday!"

(Mom groans and smacks her forehead)

3 comments:

Kristopher said...

Ah, the lot of mothers: exceed all possible expectations, and it only raises them further!

I hope your kids wished you a sincerely happy Mother's Day!

MistyV said...

Susan, that seriously has to be the most awesome cake EVER! I know you could win a contest for sure! I must rip off your idea for one of the boys birthdays...don't worry I'll give you credit though;)
-Misty

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! You're so creative! I can see his mesmerized expression in the picture...too cute!